Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Black Hole

Recently, a dear friend posted about the Black Hole, more commonly known as Target. This seems to be a black hole because while well-intentioned, we just can't seem to escape without buying things we don't need and spending more than we intended to. Here are my thoughts on the Black Hole:

I used to be sucked in. Every time I was shopping in the vicinity of Target, I had to stop in and just see what they had. Sure, I probably had a few things on my list - toothpaste, Ziplocs, soap, but I always seemed to veer from my list and end up with great things at great prices, but not things I needed or money I needed to spend. I started thinking about it recently and realized that my personal issue with Target is that I see it as a special treat to go there. For some reason, when I am there, I grab things as if it might be the last time I can go to Target. I must claim this item!! I also must give some credit to the atmospheric effect. I am not sure why, but when I walk into Target, I feel like I am home. I know the exact layout of the store, I am relaxed, happy and excited to shop.

I know this may be shocking to hear from a Shopaholic, but lately, I have been somewhat surprised at my spending there. Where once, $80 was my consistent spending there, a few months ago, it was only $40, then $30, then $15 and the last time, only $7!! Each time, I have exclaimed to the cashier, I don't think I've ever spent this little in Target!!! Now, I don't know how it is possible to continue this trend without sticking to the dollar spot. I still love Target dearly, but I'm hoping I can enjoy and still be able to send my children to college.

3 comments:

Alana said...

WOW, maybe you can teach me a thing or two when you come to visit.

Janelle said...

I have a feeling when you visit Alana, the Target will be calling your name a mere 5 miles away. Good luck...stay strong!

Shelley said...

you go girl! i can't wait to see you!