Monday, May 7, 2007

It's Pilates, Jerry.

I taught my Pilates class tonight. I LOVE teaching fitness classes. The women who take my classees are wonderful and I can't think of a better paying job than working out. That being said, sometimes I just hope they keep me on! Do you know that feeling when you think of something hilarious, but it is totally inappropriate to laugh, which makes it incredibly hard not to totally bust out? Well, tonight I was thinking how funny it is that whatever I tell my class to do, they do it. I say move into the plank position and they all do it, no questions asked (ok, at times there have been a few groans). I started realizing that I could say anything and they would do it! If I said get up off your mats and do jumping jacks around the room they might shrug their shoulders and think the instructor has gone totally off her mind, but they would probably do it. This struck me as so funny. My class is so trusting of me! So, I smiled and one of my students saw me smile and smiled back. This did it for me. I had to laugh. I couldn't explain it to my class, but I was struggling desperately to maintain control. Deep breaths. Inhale, exhale.

I teach at least half of the class facing the class. This means that I have to think of what I am doing and then invert it for the class. So, I think lift your left leg, but I must say lift your right leg. It is like I am constantly translating my class into Latin. Well, I am trying so hard to get the correct side that in almost every class, I have said the wrong body part. By a long shot. I don't realize it for a few seconds, and then I have to laugh, but I am way off. For example, instead of saying shoulder, I have said elbow. I said ankles instead of wrists. Minor errors. Good thing my class is filled with good-humored, easy-going women who must just ignore what I say and just follow what I'm doing. Trusting girls. I will lead them to 6-pack abs and a core of steel!

I have to say, one of the big perks is wearing the headset.

3 comments:

Alana said...

Now you know why I always sang the wrong "hello song". I imagine you are a fantastic teacher!

Janelle said...

When you find yourself saying, "breathe through your eyelids" Just stop...no one knows how to do that!

Shelley said...

seriously, i wish i could be in your class! i miss you, but i'm so excited to keep up with you!