Saturday, May 19, 2007

The Sale of All Sales

Ok. Lots of curiosity about the PB Outlet. Let me go into detail - probably should because it may be considered a defining moment in my shopping life. The Outlet is in Memphis. I just recently found out about it. I've been twice before and found a few good deals - cute towels for the boys, a bulletin board, etc. But this week was unlike any other. Let me take a few deep breaths and begin...

We walk in, trying not to be too excited. We didn't really want to get our hopes up in case it was a flop (although Heather did take out the back seats in her minivan just in case we found stuff, so she was obviously more hopeful than I let myself be). We decided to pace ourselves and start to the right and work our way around. Definately need a strategy. We noticed that rugs were 30% off and gave them a glance, but honestly, 30% off $699 is not the kind of bargain we were there for. So, we continue toward furniture. The blue bookshelf I had discovered a few weeks ago was there (found at a great price, but could not fit it in my vehicle with two carseats in there. Tried to consider all my options, but short of making the boys sit in my lap on the way home, I couldn't come up with a realistic solution. I had to part ways with the blue bookshelf so perfect for R's room). Well, as I said, I found MY bookshelf and grabbed the tag off immediately so no one else could even consider it. It was originally $299 at the outlet. I got it for $20. I repeat, $20. If you enjoy shopping and bargains even a tiny bit, you are starting to feel my excitement. Hold on to your shopping bag - it gets better.

We move over to the clearance area. I had seen this area before and it consisted of odds and ends and basically things that did not make sense - a shower rod without an end, miscellaeous drawers without a dresser, etc. Well, we go over and look at the items on the table with a slight disinterest and then start looking through this massive box. We decided to develop a system and took everything out to see it all. I was originally attracted to the box by an Easter basket liner with C's name embroidered on it. It was 97 cents. So, I was pulled in. We took things out, discussed them and came up with our stash. Good, but nothing huge. We maintainted our control. Until we saw it. About 3 feet away from us the whole time. The sign. The sign that will forever change my definition of a good sale. It read

ALL ITEMS WITH TAGS HIGHLIGHTED IN YELLOW ARE ADDITIONAL 70% OFF

Heather and I looked at each other with disbelief and started through the box all over. All control was lost. At one point, I think Heather may have fallen in. We dove deep. We would do anything to get our bargains. If there were others wanting to look in the box, they would have to wait. Truth be told, I'm not sure others noticed the sign at first either, so we pretty much had the area to ourselves to work. The sign changed everything. Suddenly things that were $30 were now only $9! I cannot tell you all the deals I got, but to give you an idea, I got a roman shade for C's room for $3, tab top panel curtains for R's room for $6, red and blue buckets with handles for $1.50 each, Easter baskets for 90 cents, a lampshade for $3, a duvet cover for $9, etc, etc. When we went to check out, after 3 additional trips to make sure there wasn't anything else we could use, Katie, the check out lady LOVED us. She would just take $10 off the price before the 70% without us even knowing she was doing it!! We had huge carts full of stuff. After that, we totally could have gone home happy. So, the rest of the fun trip was all bonus.

Ahh. A Shopaholic's dream sale. Thank you, PB Outlet, thank you, Katie, thank you, Heather.
Thanks to whoever made the executive decision to get rid of all the clearance and mark it 70% off. There is nothing better (well, maybe 90%, but I've got no complaints).

3 comments:

Alana said...

Girls trip to Memphis, anyone???

Janelle said...

I'm in...now!!

Shelley said...

NOW NOW NOW!!! WE HAVE TO GO! That shelf was like, what? a million percent off! And seriously, i bought the pottery barn easter basket and liner this year and paid like $40, PLUS shipping! Oh my, I am sooooo jealous!